Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

 


Pauline Nenunge

Please tell us your name and where you come from.

My name is Pauline Chemtai Nenunge. I was born in Kipsigon, Kopsiro. I grew up in Terem, Kapkateny Ward but we later relocated to Machewa in Trans Nzoia County.

What has been your academic journey? Please walk us through it.

This has, indeed, been a journey. I started my nursery school at Terem Primary School, then, I was moved to Kapkirwok Academy while in Class 1. In search for better education, my Dad, again, moved me to Chemelil Factory Primary School where I stayed with a relative. I tried my luck at Lugulu Boarding Primary School but I was not taken. I had to go back to Kisumu while in Class 6. I, then, joined Cheptikit Academy for Class 7 and 8.

After KCPE, I joined Loreto Girls High School, Limuru. It was a Catholic school that brought out the best in students. I did my KCSE and scored a B (Plain). When the time came to join university, my Dad wanted me to pursue a Nursing course at Kenyatta University. However, that was not my preferred course because I had even thought of dropping Biology while in Form 3. I was young then and did not have much say in career choices. Luckily, before a decision was made, I received an admission letter from Moi University to pursue Bachelor of Education on Government sponsorship. I graduated in 2013 and immediately enrolled for a Masters in Communication Studies. I graduated in 2020 after I lost some years campaigning for a friend who was vying for a political seat in 2017. In 2021, I enrolled for a PhD in Communication Studies. I am hopeful to graduate next year.

What is your profession and what does it entail?

I am an administrator at Moi University, a job I was offered by the then Vice Chancellor, Prof. Richard Mibey. This came about when I was a student leader and I got to frequently meet with the top leadership of the University among them the Vice Chancellor. I created rapport with them and, in the process, he asked me to see him after I graduated. That is how I got the job.

I am also a part time Lecturer in the School of Information Sciences, Department of Publishing, Journalism and Communication Studies. I teach Public Relations, Political Communication, and Gender Communication among others. While studying B.Ed, I told myself that I wanted to be a teacher but not just a secondary school teacher but teach in a university. So, I purposed to complete my undergraduate degree and proceed to take Masters and PhD.

 

What challenges have you faced in your growth? How did you overcome them?

I have mostly faced leadership challenges. I became interested in leadership when I was still young. While in Cheptikit Academy, I wanted to be a head girl but ended up being a class prefect. In 3rd Year at Moi University, I vied for a student leadership position. Politics, even student politics, is an expensive venture. I had to save monies I received from HELB for two semesters to be able to campaign. I was vying for the position of Director, Health, Sanitation and Environment in 2012-2013. The competition was tough! The Kshs 52,000/- I had saved from HELB was not able to cater for all the expenses. I did not even have money to print posters yet my competitor’s posters were all over!

Thankfully, I reached out to Prof. Peter Kibas at Kabarak University who agreed to print my posters. I had joined the Sabaot students association who campaigned for me. A few days to the elections, my campaigners, opinion polls and the students’ magazine-Third Eye- all pointed to my competitor winning. We even left the polling centre before counting was done only to be called back. My votes had already surpassed my competitors yet there was still more to count! I went on to become the Director for two academic years due to the crash programme that had been introduced. It was a good opportunity for me.

As an employee, I campaigned for a position in the Kenya Universities Staff Union (KUSU) and emerged to be the Woman Representative, Moi University Branch. It was a tough terrain pitting a Nandi against a Sabaot. It was even tougher because I was running against an elderly woman. At some point, I was advised to cede the position for her until 2026 but I learnt to dare. I seriously campaigned among staff with the little money I had. I am currently holding the position until 2026. As a Union leader, workers expect you to deliver on your mandate. In such instances, I have learnt to be diplomatic in my dealings. I have also overcome the challenges through prayer because God listens.


Let’s talk about the Sabaot girl child, what, in your opinion, is the greatest challenge facing a young Sabaot woman today?

First, I think we have overcome the challenge of Female Genital Mutilation. The idea that a woman is not yet a woman if she is not circumcised is retrogressive. We still have to grapple with limited thinking, though. I blame this on the Sabaot society. Can we come out and face the world? My Dad was an ordinary teacher before he rose through the ranks but he did not have limited thinking concerning the girl child. He had faith in us. We are also struggling with limited opportunities though it is still possible to start from the smallest chances we have and persist in seeking better opportunities.  Being a minority tribe is also a limit in itself because opportunities pass us by.

Do you think they have reached their full potential? If not, what do you think is preventing them from being outstanding?

I think we have made tremendous progress. The Sabaot girl is coming up. We currently have two Deputy Governors in Bungoma and Trans Nzoia counties. We also have other upcoming leaders. What we need to do is to be the best in whatever capacity we find ourselves in so that we can be seen. Here at Moi University, I am not alone in championing for the rights of workers. The Secretary of KUSU is a Sabaot. So, amongst the common ethnic tribes here, we have two Sabaots against three Nandis.

It is possible to break the glass ceiling in all sectors; economic, political, social etc. In the near future, being referred to as the minority tribe will be a thing of the past. Once we get a County, it will help us grow and usher us into the world. I want to advise the Sabaot community to come out of their cocoons. Be proud of our dialect and to be identified with where we come from. Be proud of our culture, traditions and activities. Our growth may be slow but it is sure.

What should we do to make them great? What should the Sabaot girl child do to excel?

We should educate them because education is an equalizer. Let us take our children to school so that they are exposed to the world. We cannot make progress while confined in the village.


Let’s go back to you. What three words describe you?

Resilient. Visionary. Leader.

What achievements are you most proud of?

I celebrate life and the continued strength to live. It is a privilege to see each day. Education wise, I am proud that I am able to pursue a PhD. I do not take that for granted. I am also proud of the steps I have made in leadership because, in the middle of all the chaos, I have emerged the winner. I am happy to be a Sabaot. I do not hide it. I am grateful to be born in the villages of Mt. Elgon.

Do you have any role models (women) that you look up to? Why?

Everyone must have a role model. Someone to make you work hard. For me, Milca Psiwa is my role model. She is a visionary leader. I also admire the two Sabaot Deputy Governors: Jennifer Mbatiany (Bungoma) and Philomena Bineah-Kapkory (Trans Nzoia). I also love Gladys Boss Shollei for her aggressiveness. I am still looking for a spiritual Sabaot role model though.

What are your future plans?

Although the future is not promised, I still plan for it. I want to be the best and light the candle for other Sabaot women. I hope to open a Foundation to help this gender minority because it is important that we pull other people up. I desire for people in Mt. Elgon to become holistic human beings in whatever they choose to do; education, business, agriculture, spiritual etc. We need to bring up a morally upright society with individuals that have prowess in diverse economical skills.

Parting shot?

Let’s strive to be the best among the best. Get out of the comfort zone and explore opportunities in all sectors of the economy. This is the only way Mt. Elgon will grow to become a County.

Comments

  1. My classie.This is beautiful & great.You are going far! All the best Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations classmate cheptikit academy she's a go getter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe and that's our girl child. Asanteni wapendwa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, keep going girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. My elder siz, wakili here following your footsteps💪

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well spoken my dear sister Pauline its true indeed that Sabaot community need to come out of their comfort zone and explore the opportunities

    ReplyDelete
  7. Proud of you girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations pauline!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great piece, great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really proud of you Pauline. Mentor others along your way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo