Stories of Sabaot Women: Dr. Sylvia Chebet Sirai

 



Dr. Sylvia Chebet Sirai

Please tell us your name and where you come from.

I am Dr. Sylvia Chebet Sirai. I am 35years old. I come from Cheptais Sub- County in Mt. Elgon. I am from a family of six; three girls and three boys. I am married to Davies Machel Muchuma.

How has been your education journey? Please walk us through it.

I started my education at Tororo Primary School in Cheptais. I later joined Cheptikit Academy in Kapsokwony where I did my KCPE. I, then, joined Moi Girls High School, Eldoret in 2006 and scored a B- (Minus). My grade enabled me to enroll for an undergraduate degree in Business Administration (Marketing) at the Kenya Methodist University in 2010. After completion, I immediately enrolled for a Masters in Business Administration (Marketing) at the Mount Kenya University in 2011 and took exactly two years to complete my studies. This enabled me to enroll for a PhD in Business Administration in the same University in January 2013 where I majored in Marketing. I graduated in 2018. I also hold a Diploma in Human Resource which I did concurrently with my Masters. I realized that I needed human resource skills for my career growth.

What is your profession and what does it entail?

I am a Lecturer at Kibabii University where I teach, research, consult and mentor young girls and boys. I joined the then Kibabii University College in 2015 as a Tutorial Fellow. In 2018, I was promoted to a Lecturer. I am now due for promotion to a Senior Lecturer. In 2021, I was appointed the Chairperson of the Department of Business Administration and Management; a position I am still holding at Kibabii University.

Did you always desire to be in this field?

Not really. I wanted to be a Magistrate. I enjoyed watching court proceedings on television. With time, though, things changed. After my undergraduate studies, I was mentored into teaching at the university level. I was made to love the job. I realized that I also needed to be in teaching due to its flexibility.

The Sabaot girl child, especially those in the villages, are constantly faced with numerous challenges which hinder their progress. What challenges did you face while growing up? How did you overcome them?

To be honest, I come from a family that had a source of livelihood. So, I may not have encountered the challenges that most women in Mt. Elgon face. I was provided for and went through all levels of education without any delays. My parents did their best to ensure that our family of six progressed to the highest level in whatever we desired to do. My Dad would ask what we wanted to do or be in life and he would get it for us.

The challenge that I probably encountered was in my education journey. I remember one day I travelled all the way to Nairobi from Bungoma to see my supervisor and he told me that he had forgotten about our meeting and that he was out of town. I had to travel back. I also encountered the harassment that comes with appearing before a panel to defend my Masters thesis. I remember one time I cried during presentations but that did not deter me. I wiped my tears and moved on. So, my challenges were purely academic in nature, but I was able to overcome them.

So, in your opinion, what is the greatest challenge facing the young Sabaot woman today?

I would say it is lack of exposure. Sometime back, I was in a delegation that went to Kopsiro to scout the land that had been allocated to Kibabii University by the County Government of Bungoma. While there, I interacted and spoke with a few women. I realized that 90% of them are housewives. They have been brought up there, schooled there and got married there. They have never travelled anywhere so they are not exposed to the world outside of their villages.

I think there is need to empower these women and let them know that there are good things out there. They need to know that even with their KCSE certificates, they can be employed and grow to become successful women. They need to know that what men can do women can also do.

For those ones who have managed to set foot outside of their villages, what do you think is preventing them from being outstanding?

I want to believe that it is largely due to lack of role models. I feel sad seeing the ladies I went to school with looking older than their ages. The difficulties of life have made them appear older. These women may have secondary school certificates but they have stashed them in their houses. They are not using them. I think parents do not know, or probably do not care, for the education of a girl. They may not see it important for girls to pursue higher education. These girls may have attained a C+ but they do not know that Kibabii University, for example, exists. And even if they do, they lack direction on where to start from. When these women get exposure, they become empowered and, in turn, become role models.

What, then, should we do to make them great? What should the Sabaot girl child do to excel?

I want them to know that even with a D (Plain), they can begin from the lower level with that certificate and progress up to the PhD level. Progress should not always be tied to the money factor because one can be sponsored through various programmes. They need to take advantage of the opportunities available. For example, Kibabii University has a kitty that sponsors needy students. There is also the work-study programme where one can work at the institution and part of their stipend goes to pay their fees. So, the issue is not about the availability of fees but about being directed on the right paths to follow. My advice is that they can achieve what they desire if they put their minds to pursuing it. The era of fees being a problem, especially in higher education, is long gone.

Let’s go back to you. What three words best describe you?

God fearing. Go-getter. Straightforward.

What achievements are you most proud of?

I am proud that, at my age, I have been able to achieve what I wanted to achieve in life. I have excelled in my education, profession and family. I wedded in April 2022. I have co-authored a book titled ‘The Entrepreneurial Mindset and Practice’ with Dr. Fred Atandi as I plan to author my own in Marketing. I also look forward to write my biography in the next two (2) years.

I am a staunch Christian. I lead the women ministry docket at the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Kanduyi. I find comfort in doing this because it has taken the hand of God to get this far. He has, indeed, been faithful.

Do you have any role models (women) that you look up to? Why?

My role model is Mama Rachael Ruto; the First Lady. Our First Lady has done so much for the women in our country. In 2009, she founded the Joyful Women Organization, an initiative to financially empower rural women. She is also the Founder and Patron of Mama Doing Good and a champion of Faith Diplomacy, Mental Health and Wellness. She is passionate about mentoring young people and empowering women. I love her humility and I hope that one day I will be able to meet her because we share two things in common: mentoring young people and empowering women.

What are your plans for the future?

I look forward to serving Kibabii University more and even join the National government to offer my expertise there. I am also going back to the community to empower the girl child. I desire for other girls from Mt. Elgon to reach where I have reached. I would like them to venture into different fields but most especially in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). I want to see Mt. Elgon on the world map.

Parting shot?

I appreciate my Dad for the far that he has supported me. He stood with me and held my hand all through my life’s journey. All my achievements are because of him. For this far, I pray that God continues to bless him and give him long life to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

To the girls out there, God has blessed you, let no one undermine you; reach your full potential for you to live happy, healthy, and fulfilling lives.

Comments

  1. This is powerful my Cheptikit Academy Schoolmate. Keep shinning girl and let others use your light too. Mwah

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration. I know the people you mentioned personally,other than the first lady

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi

Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo