Stories of Sabaot Women: Esther Chepkoech Kirong


 


Please tell us your name and where you come from.

My name is Esther Chepkoech Kirong. I come from Trans Nzoia County. I am officially sailing on the 3rd floor.

What has been your academic journey? Please walk us through it.

Wow! I started school at Bondeni Nursery School, then Chepyuk Primary School-Mt Elgon. Later, I transferred to Teldet Primary School in Trans Nzoia in 2006. In 2007, I joined St. Monica Girls High School in Kitale where I studied till 2010 and passed my exams. In 2012, I joined Multimedia University of Kenya to study Journalism and Mass Communication. I graduated in 2016.

What is your profession and what does it entail?

I am a journalist. I majored in Broadcast Journalism. This means I can broadcast both in radio and TV but I love radio. It is all about going to the field to get stories, scripting, editing and getting it aired. Journalism is about being creative especially for me in view of the fact that I am always on-air. I have to be creative so that my news is listener-attractive; not just attractive but it should also have a message. It also entails production of news and editing before airing. I am an all-rounded journalist.

Did you always desire to be in this field?

Yes, I did. In my childhood, I used to be a herds girl if there is such a word. I enjoyed imitating successful news anchors of KBC Radio Taifa, alaaa! I read news with cows as my audience and listeners. I even read news while fetching water in the river. No one disturbed my peace while doing so because I dreamt of being a big journalist. I still dream, actually.

What challenges have you faced in your growth? How did you overcome them?

Ooh Lord! I do not like this question because it brings bad memories gone by. My childhood from Nursery school to Class 7 was swift. I lived with my elder sister who doubles up as my Mum because I have lived with her since I was 3 years old. I did not know what poverty smelt like. I used to hear about it from far but hell broke loose when I went home to live with my mother. I had never slept hungry in life but then it soon became the norm. I remember when my mother was sick and she asked to help her brew changaa. That was the day I cried like the world had broken. I brewed it anyway. This was my school fees and what I used to pay for KCPE exams in 2006.

First forward to high school, life was somehow better because my brother had a business, hence, he paid my fees. Hell broke loose again when he married. Life turned upside down. Being sent home was normal to me but, all in all, I managed to go through high school. When time came to join university, my dream almost came to an end due to lack of school fees. One day, I will gather the strength to talk about this.

Let’s talk about the Sabaot girl child, what, in your opinion, is the greatest challenge facing a young Sabaot woman today?

Early marriages and lack of exposure. Let me talk about this exposure thing, our girls, especially those in the interior parts, are facing challenges of early pregnancies due to lack of exposure. What most of them think of is marriage.

Do you think they have reached their full potential? If not, what do you think is preventing them from being outstanding?

They haven’t reached their full potential due to lack of exposure. If a girl is exposed, the urge for education will automatically come.

What, then, should we do to make them great? What should the Sabaot girl child do to excel?

Be focused and have goals in life.

Let’s go back to you. What three words best describe you?

Hardworking. Resourceful. Adaptive

What achievements are you most proud of?

Having used my influence in media to motivate the girl child that there is life after the village. Starting my Boxer Challenge by distributing boxers to boys in schools especially slum areas. To me, this is great because we have all but forgotten about the boy child.

Do you have any role models (women) that you look up to? Why?

Christine Ojiambo. Her being a Radio News Anchor on Citizen Radio really inspired me. I love how she articulates issues. Another one is Catherine Muhatia. She used to be my Lecturer at Multimedia University of Kenya. She has played a huge role in coaching me to be the best female voice in media. I admire her resilience in the field of communication. She still encourages me to be the best. Gladys Wanga, the Governor, Homa Bay County is a brave woman politics aside. She is smart.

What are your future plans?

To expand my project of distributing boxers to the boy child, advance my studies, get self-employed and live somewhere in Rwanda.

Parting shot?

I am from a small family. My Dad died a long time ago and my Mum stood strong to make sure that we all go to school because she believed that inheritance comes from books. That is exactly what we stand for in our small family. There is no wealth inheritance but brain inheritance, so you find it yourself by working hard.

Comments

  1. Wow go Mountain girl. T he sky is the lower limit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi

Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo