Stories of Sabaot Women: Evelyne Chesomek Kiptot

 


Please tell us your name and where you come from.

I am Evelyne Chesomek Kiptot. I was born and raised in Kimobo Village, Mt Elgon, Kenya.  I am in my mid 50s.

What has been your academic journey? Please walk us through it.

I started school in 1974 at Kimobo Primary School and later transferred to Misikhu Boarding Primary School in Standard 4 in 1977. I sat for my CPE in 1980 and passed with flying colours.

In 1981, I joined Lugulu High School in Form one and sat for the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) in 1984 and passed with Division 1. In 1985, I joined Bunyore Girls High School for A-Level. I studied Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry. I sat for my A-Level exams in 1986 and passed with 3 Principles and 1 Subsidiary.

For my university education, I joined Moi University in 1987 and studied Bachelor of Science in Forestry. I graduated in 1990 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Forestry. In 1995, I joined University College of North Wales in the United Kingdom currently known as Bangor University to study a Masters Degree in Agroforestry. I graduated in 1997 with a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) Degree in Environmental Forestry-Agroforestry Option. In 2003, I joined Wageningen University and Research Centre in Netherlands (Holland) for Doctoral studies. I graduated in 2007 with a Doctor of Philosophy in Social Sciences.

What is your profession and what does it entail?

I am an Agroforestry Scientist with a focus on Rural Advisory Services, in other words, Extension Services. I plan and conduct high impact research on Rural Advisory Services (RAS) aimed at generating global public goods for new knowledge and methods and global, regional, national, and local outcomes such as new RAS policies and strategies implemented by extension providers. I also guide, mentor and supervise graduate students and young researchers. I am also a reviewer of various international agricultural and forestry journals.

Did you always desire to be in this field?

I wanted to be a doctor but was admitted to pursue Forestry instead.

What challenges have you faced in your growth? How did you overcome them?

The only challenge I can think of is balancing work, studies and family. I have a very strong support system. Even when I was away studying, my family supported me in many ways so that I could concentrate on my studies.

Let’s talk about the Sabaot girl child, what, in your opinion, is the greatest challenge facing a young Sabaot woman today?

Having parents who do not value education and lack of fees to progress beyond primary school.

Do you think they have reached their full potential? If not, what do you think is preventing them from being outstanding?

I do not think Sabaot girls have reached their full potential. Most of them are from poor backgrounds and are not able to progress because of lack of fees.

What should we do to make them great? What should the Sabaot girl child do to excel?

The bright students should be supported financially to progress with their education beyond primary school.

Let’s go back to you. What three words describe you?

Self-driven. Motivated. Passionate.

What achievements are you most proud of?

Having attained a Doctorate in an area where there are very few women.

Do you have any role models (women) that you look up to? Why?

My late mother was my role model. She went to college after getting married. She demonstrated that one can still pursue their studies even after getting married. My other role model is Oprah Winfrey. She went against all odds to become one of the most successful black women in America.

What are your future plans?

To continue advocating for farmers to practice sustainable agricultural practices that protect the environment, mitigate against the effects of climate change and improve soil fertility.

Parting shot?

There is no short cut to success, one has to put in the hours.

Comments

  1. That is my sister!...we are proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no shortcut to success, one has to put in the hours.
    Am motivated ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very motivational

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi

Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo