Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi


Kathleen Chepkwemoi

Please tell us your name and where you come from.

My name is Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi. I was born in Keringet in Kapenguria, West Pokot, but grew up, in my formative years, in Sukwo Saboti before later on moving to grow up in Nandi.

What has been your academic journey? Please walk us through it.

I went to Kapchemosin Primary School in Nandi. I later on had a small stint at Saboti Primary School but went back to Kapchemosin Primary School until I completed my primary education. I proceeded to Moi Girls High School in Eldoret and was later enrolled at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology for a Bachelor of Science degree in Statistics. I have a second degree from the same University in Bachelor of Laws and two Masters from the University of Nairobi in Master of Laws and Master of Business Administration (Procurement and Supply Chain).

What is your profession and what does it entail?

First, I have grown professionally in the corporate world while working for a leading Cement Company at the managerial stage in business expansion, research, distribution and customer service. I have since moved to the legal arena where I do legal research in a Law firm. At the same time, I lecture International Human Rights Law at the university level. I am also a good farmer. Farming, by the way, is a good profession.

Did you always desire to be in this field?

Yes, my dream has always been in academia, where now my heart and body have found ground. I love impacting knowledge as much as I loved learning. Learning is a continuous process. You learn from everything and everyone if you are keen.


What challenges have you faced in your growth? How did you overcome them?

In the corporate world, I was by-passed so many times on promotions though, by merit, I deserved to have grown. I came from a minority tribe with no godfathers, so I had to work myself up through performance. I was voted the best employee quite a number of times until the organization might just have felt embarrassed and had to promote me to the managerial positions many years later. I have also had personal tragedies that almost stopped me in my tracks but, like the mythical phoenix bird, I rose up from the dust and spread my wings again.



Let’s talk about the Sabaot girl child, what, in your opinion, is the greatest challenge facing a young Sabaot woman today?

First, Sabaots are a patriarchal society, so a Sabaot girl child starts from a point of fighting for existence and mobility. Secondly, the Sabaot girl is surrounded by a cultural cocoon such that their dreams, along the way, mirror their surrounding; just wanting to either clear primary or secondary school, get married and start bringing up children. Third, few role models exist to nurture the Sabaot girl child. Unfortunately, those few that are available have moved away from home and rarely invest in mentorship programmes.

For those ones who have managed to set foot outside of their villages, what do you think is preventing them from being outstanding?

The society and minimalistic dreams. They are afraid to be out here and find their space; fear of being misjudged, not believing in themselves and sometimes fear that if they shine, they lose out on other things like marriage.

What, then, should we do to make them great? What should the Sabaot girl child do to excel?

Old Sabaot girls, especially professionals or those outside of Elgon, should form a safety nest to mentor the girls. Next is a programme to motivate girls to work hard, especially issuing sponsorships to bright but needy girls to excel in school. We need to develop a trophy or trophies in like three categories that every girl dreams of ever achieving. This should encompass many areas not only academics, but it can also include sports, welfare, community work, music etc.

Let’s go back to you. What three words describe you?

Resilient. Determined. Courageous.

What achievements are you most proud of?

My children, of course. I am also proud to have graduated with two Masters degrees at the same time. I am also proud of my Vice Chancellor’s awards in Law and Best Employee awards in the corporate world. These are my personal achievements.

I am happy to have nurtured and educated a number of girls from my community and other communities. In the corporate world, I was able to be a key player in the development of standards and procedures, a robust customer service unit and timely placement and feedback in distribution and logistics. Currently, in the legal arena, I am passionate to achieve a lot in the development and frameworks on Human Rights as well as identify critical legal gaps especially in the criminal justice system.


 Do you have any role models (women) that you look up to? Why?

My grandmother. That lady, despite being illiterate, was always monitoring my academic journey you would think she could even read a report card. That is the spirit we should have, believing in others until they believe in themselves. She also had many children and would almost sell her soul to see her children go to school. She had immense love that all her grandchildren and great grandchildren continued receiving. I learnt my spirit of assisting others from her.

What are your plans for the future?

There are two things: to be a Professor or a Judge or whichever comes first, and if I do not, let me fall somewhere near there. If I can’t touch the stars, God, please allow me land in the moon.

 Parting shot?

Any girl who has room to dream has room to achieve…however long the journey…never ever give up.


Comments

  1. This inspirational,as a Sabaot girl this rejuvenates my zeal and passion to push harder and work smart,it is possible.May all the stories and personal testimonies inpire more girls in our Sabaot land to work hard and scale high in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™...am reading it from koykoy....how iwish icould find amentor like you to fulfill my dream of becoming a clinical pathologiest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for being a model to all women and Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is inspiring...@ Kabindio our sabaot girl needed this, it timely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you work hard, organize and mobilize you succeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep winning our girl child. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Chepkwemoi,it is possible to be a professor,go for it girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. So inspiring,keep on walking to greatness Chepnyoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep winning my dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kuddos cheptab kooreet we need more such inspiring stories..You dreams are valid..Mentor our girls as you break more glass cealings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Our girl I got inspired by your encouragement to our girls in Mt elgon

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so inspirational especially to the Sabaot girl child, literally breaking the glass ceiling to achieve your potential. Go for it. Blessings ๐Ÿ™Œ

    ReplyDelete
  13. Breaking barriers๐Ÿค— Congratulations senior.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great inspiration Jemima. You are destined for greatness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo