Stories of Sabaot Women: Mercy Cheptoek Buretto

Please tell us your name and where you come from.

I am Mercy Cheptoek Buretto from Cheptais. We have lived in Eldoret for a while, but I am currently in Nairobi.

What has been your academic journey? Please walk us through it.

I went to nursery school at Testimony Primary School in Eldoret and later on joined Eldoret Preparatory School. I, then, went to Chebirei Primary School for my Class 8. After I did my KCPE, I joined Kessup Girls in Kerio Valley. I, thereafter, enrolled for a crash Diploma course in Human Resource at Moi University, Kibomet Campus. Later, while in the same University, I enrolled for a degree in Human Resource at their West Campus. I am currently pursuing a Masters degree in Human Resource.

What is your profession and what does it entail?

I am many things in one. I am a businesswoman, a make-up artist and an upcoming actress. I started the make-up business in 2017. I have always loved to apply make-up on myself and others. This has opened doors and made me interact with powerful people in the political, business and corporate circles. I do a whole range of make-up for weddings, engagements, inaugurations etc.

Did you always desire to be in this field?

Not really, I mean, I went to school to study Human Resource. I can say that I have learnt to take advantage of opportunities that come my way. When I was in primary and secondary school, I involved myself in drama and music festivals. So, I should have started acting a long time ago. Same with make-up artistry. I can say that it is all about talent and passion for what you like.

What challenges have you faced in your growth? How did you overcome them?

I have lost my businesses but worked from the ground up to build them again. I had two jewelry and beauty shops in Eldoret and another in Maili Nne which I had opened for my mother. However, in the process of expanding the business, I lost everything. This was during the COVID-19 pandemic period. It reached a point I had to sell my car to support the business. God came through for me, though, when I got help from family and friends to pick up the pieces again. 

I got an opportunity to enter the Nairobi Central Business District, Mfangano Street, where I have been building the business since 2021. This is after several disappointments at the Green Park Terminus where I had leased a shop, but the premises were turned into dispensaries by the previous government. I also got space in Upper Hill but the traffic was so poor until a customer I had met way back in 2013 connected me to the current space.

I guess we keep on trying because we are not where we need to be. I want to make my shop a brand within and outside Kenya because I get orders from outside the country. I want to have line products in beauty accessories, skin care products, cloths and make-up. I want to be a manufacturer and a distributor.

Let’s talk about the Sabaot girl child, what, in your opinion, is the greatest challenge facing a young Sabaot woman today?

There are too many stereotypes surrounding the Sabaot girl child. We still have to fight the mentality that boys are better than girls. They have been made to feel like lesser beings. It also seems like the Sabaot woman has not yet been trusted to hold leadership positions in any sphere. They have not been empowered enough to feel confident of taking up these positions. These spaces continue to be dominated by men. In addition, these women do not know their rights. They may face abuse of whatever kind but because they do not know their rights, they do not know how to defend themselves.  Lack of knowledge and exposure is the root cause of all these. It is important that we educate these women.

Do you think they have reached their full potential? If not, what do you think is preventing them from being outstanding?

I do not think so. We need to mobilize women to have talks with them. I have tried playing my role in this by supporting the Elgon Sisters in their community activities. Mentorship is very important especially if we are to avert the early pregnancies crisis. Some of these girls are reserved in nature so people take advantage of their vulnerabilities with no consequences at all. Some risk their lives by trying to procure an abortion using quack doctors.

There is neither a reporting mechanism and, to make it worse, those who get the courage to speak up are labelled, stigmatized and victimized. When others see this, they do not know whether to report or not. They, in turn, fall into depression because there is no one to talk to. I think it is important that these girls are told that it is okay not to be okay. As we talk to the girls, though, let us not leave the boy child behind. Otherwise, there shall be an imbalance.

What, then, should we do to make them great? What should the Sabaot girl child do to excel?

I think they need to know the potential and the power within them. They need not be afraid of exploring opportunities locally and internationally.

Let’s go back to you. What three words describe you?

Resilient. Passionate. Hardworking.

What achievements are you most proud of?

Being a mother, my business and my entry into acting. I look at acting as my career. I took a long time to start but I got into it in 2020. I was identified for an acting role due to my voice. I took up a role in a series and played it for a while. I was not paid though but because I wanted to build up my acting skills, I did not quit. The appreciation from fans who supported me spurred me on. I started a YouTube channel dubbed Buretto Bureto that is up and running. I am a content creator shooting a Mother-in-law series right now. We are on Episode 8.

Do you have any role models (women) that you look up to? Why?

I look up to Lupita, Melissa Kiplangat and other female actresses. I admire how they are able to balance all aspects of their lives. I am sharpening my skills so that I can do better than them. I also admire Melissa Ngania and how she asserts herself. I love her attitude.

What are your future plans?

I am working to be the next great actress in Kenya. I want to be a brand so I can make my community and country proud. This will also afford me the opportunity to use my platform to easily address issues that affect society. I want to use acting to reach out to people and help them. There are also lots of unexplored talents in Mt. Elgon but nobody has told them that they have that potential. Talents open up doors, however, there are no role models for Sabaot girls in professions such as acting. I want to be a motivation to them so that when they see a Sabaot in the acting profession, they will feel at home.

Parting shot?

I want the Sabaot woman to know that we have the potential to be great. As we work to break the glass ceiling, though, let us remember our role as women. We are mothers, advisers, empathizers, and listeners. Let us guard ourselves against greed, power and fame. I associate myself with Deborah in the Bible. So, I encourage the Sabaot woman to read her Bible, pray for wisdom and a discerning spirit in these uncertain times.

Comments

  1. Motivating💪💪

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST OF LUCK , YOU HAVE THE POTENTIALS AND AM COCKSURE SURE YOU WILL TRUIMPH ,THE SKY IS THE LIMIT.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi

Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo