HIS NAME WAS BRUCE.......PART 2

The Aggrey Kisato University of Technology was one of the best universities in the country. It was named after a man famed to have championed for provision of quality education to everyone. Tale had it that Aggrey Kisato made it his vision and one ambition to dedicate his life to lobbying for this course he strongly believed in. He had engaged in various activities nationally and internationally in order to bring the much-needed change he desired to see. His efforts had paid off. He had influenced policies in the education sector in the country which kept most institutions alive up to the present. He was spoken of with so much pride and reverence.

Becky felt lucky and privileged to work in this great institution. She loved her job and the challenges it came with. She was never one to back down from anything which could grow her career.

“Becky, the Boss wants to see you.” She remembered the Boss’ secretary calling her one Monday morning.

“What is it about? Do you know?” she nervously inquired. The Boss was known to be thorough and hands-on in everything he did. Despite the sheer magnitude of the institution, he seemed to be aware of each and everything that was going on. It was, therefore, prudent and safe for Becky to stand before him well-aware and prepared for anything he wanted to talk to her about.

“I do not know. Unfortunately,” the secretary responded.

Whatever it was, Becky decided to take it in her stride.

The Boss had gone ahead to entrust her with an assignment which she had delivered to his satisfaction. Since that time, she was involved in one project or another at the institution. Except for the usual hiccups here and there, she excelled in each of them.

She heard a knock on the door.

“Yes, come in.”

“Good morning Ms. Limo. May I come in?”

Becky’s heart almost stopped. She had heard that voice a few months ago during a workshop. She had all but forgotten about him. What was he doing in her office?

“Uuhmmm…yes, please come in.”

“I am sorry for coming in unannounced. I came for a meeting here. I thought I could say hello,” he said apologetically.

“No problem. How did you find me? Please have a seat.” Becky said as she gestured to him to take the seat before her.

“I asked around. Made wrong turns a few times but here I am finally.”

“Great. You are welcome.”

“You remember me, right?”

“Of course, I do. Bruce.”

“Right, the name is Bruce. I would not want to take a lot of your time. How about we have coffee soon?”

“Coffee? Uuhhmm….” Becky hesitated.

“Do not worry. It is nothing serious. It will just be ‘workshop-mates’ catching up.”

“Workshop-mates huh….what would we talk about?”

“There is a lot to talk about Ms. Limo. For starters, you could tell me what you were preoccupied with during the workshop.”

Becky laughed.

“I will accept this offer only if you stop referring to me as Ms. Limo. It makes me feel old.”

“Whatever you wish, your highness.” They both laughed as they remembered how sarcastically the speaker had referred to her during the workshop.

“Okay, then.”

“Okay. I will need your contact details to make this possible.”

“Sure!”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi

Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo