Saving the Sabaot Girl Child.

In the past few days, Mt Elgon has been in the news for all the bad reasons. For those who do not know, Mt. Elgon is my motherland. It is my home. I am a proud Sabaot. For many years, Mt. Elgon and its people have been marginalized. Some have even said that nothing good has ever come out of this beautiful land.

Yes, we were very much affected by the Sabaot Land Defence Force menace. Many people lost their lives and families were scattered. We still feel the effects of this Force till now. Nevertheless, Mt. Elgon is a beautiful place. This is attested by its lush greenery, undulating hills, its forests with its wildlife, the cattle gently grazing in farms, crops dancing gracefully in the cool breeze and its peaceful people. Sabaot's are very accommodating. There is always a sense of freshness and newness when i visit my home in Kimobo. There is neither pollution of the air or unnecessary noise around.

Some have said that Sabaot's are backwards. I have met people who have been taken aback by the fact that I am a Sabaot. On asking them why they seem baffled by that, they say they never expected anything or any one like me to come from Mt. Elgon. And then I started asking myself, what is it that we have not done as Mt. Elgon people?  Are we any different from other communities? Why do our neighbours despise us?

These questions pushed me to do something for my motherland. I know we have our own weaknesses and shortcomings, but Mt. Elgon carries so much potential. Every opportunity i get, I have purposed to talk to young girls. I want to tell them they have a life to live. I want to tell them they have the ability and power to soar to great heights. I want them to know they can become anything they want to become.

The Sabaot Girl Child needs to know that early marriages is not a solution. They need to know that  getting unprepared pregnancies are demeaning. I want them to know that they can climb the education ladder and be mentioned in the echelons of the great.

The recent stories on media about the 18 primary school girls who have fallen pregnant at that young age is disturbing. The fact that this is an occurrence in most Mt. Elgon schools makes it even sadder. My shock was to learn that actually one of the girls is married to a Class Eight boy in the same school.

We may blame it on the ravages of SLDF. We might blame it on the negligence of the parents or even teachers. Heck, we can even blame it on the government and join the constant cliche of 'tunaomba serikali itusaidie'. But I say, enough is enough! We need to do something. I need to do something. I need to save the Sabaot Girl. We need to stop burying our heads in the sand and actually realize that we are at the brink of destruction.

The world is not waiting for Mt. Elgon to catch up with it. It is constantly growing, expanding and moving. We cannot be left behind. Workable initiatives need to come up. Professionals from Mt. Elgon need to stand in order to be counted. Our leaders need to provide the much needed leadership. Religious institutions need to perform their mandate.

Well, a Sabaot professional ladies group is forming up. We are going to talk to the Sabaot Girl, we are going to empower them, we are going to ignite their dreams once again. We are going to unlock the potential in our girls. We are going to raise Mt. Elgon.

No longer will we be called uneducated, marginalized, unqualified, backward and such negative names.

Viva Sabaots! Viva Mt. Elgon!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi

Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo