Celebrating Family and Friends

I started this post without a title. I could not find a befitting one. Many articles have been written about the value of family and  friendship, i would like to add my side of it.

In the past few weeks, I have found myself in some situations that have left me vulnerable and felt like being dependent on some one, any one. Since the day I joined first year at the university, I have stayed alone. I learned to be independent and when i finished my studies and got employment, i learned more of staying alone, paying bills and facing life as an individual. Many times, I felt like I should be still living in my parents house. I felt like I was yet too young to venture out on my own.

Along the road, I have made friends. They may not be so many of them but the few I have fit me perfectly well and come to my rescue when i need them. In this past few weeks, I have seen my family come all out for me. I have seen them abandon their daily activities and join in what concerns me. I have seen them spend the little they have towards what should have been entirely mine to cater for. Above all, I have seen them celebrate me. I have seen their faces and hearts swell with pride at my achievements. In this past few weeks, I have been showered with love and concern.

And then I have friends who have proven to be true. Some of them we are separated by distance but they have proven closer than the ones around me. They are concerned about what is happening in my life. They listen. They act. They comfort. They encourage. One of them has particularly  humbled me. If you will read this post, you know yourself. You have stood by me. You have been there for me. You have denied your comfort for my comfort. You have gone out of your way to make sure I am comfortable.

I might not have very many friends to run around with but the few I have are a true source of strength and security for me. My many 'thank you' might not be enough but I hope you know that you have stuck closer to me than a brother.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories of Sabaot Women: Kathleen Jemima Chepkwemoi

Stories of Sabaot Women: Pauline Chemtai Nenunge

Stories of Sabaot Women: Diana Chebet Olinyo